This post is dedicated to our fearless companions, the cats. They are one of the most popular pet in the world, and are now found in almost all places where people live.
Lots of beautiful stamps illustrating cats were issued and I’ve decided to start collecting this theme. Until now I have some series from Romania and Hungary and I hope many others will come.
It seems many philatelists are into this, I’ve even found a website dedicated to cat stamps collecting (http://www.catsonstamps.org).
I’m gonna show you a few reasons why I think cats are really great:
– According to Hebrew legend, Noah prayed to God to help him protect all the food he had on the ark from being eaten by rats. In reply, God made the lion sneeze, and out popped a cat
– Despite being solitary hunters, cats are a social species, they communicate using a variety of vocalizations (meowing, purring, trilling, hissing, growling and grunting) as well as cat pheromones and body language
– Even if they are domestic animals, cats are pretty independent. They can sense the tone in your voice, knowing when you are speaking lovingly to them or if you are yelling at them. But they understand punishments different than humans do – that is why they always get into trouble
– Cats were first domesticated back in ancient Egypt time, a fact proven by the paintings found than illustrate them, dating back as far as 3500 years old. It’s said that when a family cat died in ancient Egypt, family members would mourn by shaving off their eyebrows
– A cat can hear high-frequency sounds up to two octaves higher than a human, and also can jump up to five times its own height in a single bound. That’s pretty impressive..
– And of course, cats are great because sometimes they can be so cute.. or so hilarious